Bert’s Bar is composed of two buildings. The original building was the bar near the road. It was built in the 30’s as a “sweet shop”. Then in 1941 the hotel building was built. It consisted of eight sleeping rooms.
During WWII, army bases were set up at Page Field and many of the soldiers would come out for a weekend to Matlacha to go fishing off the “fishingest bridge in Florida” at Matlacha Pass.
They became regular customers of the hotel and bar. The hotel had the reputation of “ill repute” and ladies of the night. Imagine that!